What are the grounds for the impeachment of Mr. Trump?
The investigation against Donald Trump started as the US President Donald Trump
and other top government officials compelled Ukraine
and other countries to declare officially the investigations of the prior US Vice President
and 2020 leading Democratic Presidential candidate Joe Biden
and his son Hunter
and publish evidence representing Ukraine’s fringe theory of evidence in the 2016 US elections.
- The investigation takes place around a phone call between Trump and the President of Ukraine, Volodymyr Zelensky, which indicates that the US military support for Ukraine had to be denied until Zelensky abides by the above requirement.
- Many witnesses, including Bill Taylor (the US top ambassador in Ukraine), Laura Cooper (the US top officer of the Pentagon), Fiona Hill (former White House official) and at least 6 more officers from the White House have verified the accusations.
- On 24 September 2019, the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi began the investigation in response to the reported misuse of President Trump's power to serve his political interests.
- Further reported misconduct was identified in the following days when Trump later requested the Ukraine and China openly to interrogate the Bidens.
- A complaint was filed by an informant exposing the phone call to the Congress on 25 September 2019 and was made public on the next day.
- A non-verbatim transcript verified that Zelensky was requested by Trump to inquire about Bidens and produce evidence that Ukraine intervened during the 2016 US elections and constantly asked him to work in these cases with Giuliani and Attorney General William Barr.
- The House voted 232-196 on 31 October 2019 to lay down public hearing proceedings, which began on 13 November .
- When the proceedings started, Pelosi and House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff stated that the bribery performed by Trump is specified in the Constitution as an impeachable offense.
Prior Impeachment Attempts:
- Many people and groups tried to make attempts to impeach President Trump, and discussions of impeachment started already before Trump took responsibility.
- Representatives AI Green, both democrats, introduced official measures in 2017, his first year as President.
- The impeachment bill of December 2017 disregarded by a 58-364 voting margin in the then-Republican House.
- After the 2018 elections, democrats took the power of the House and began many investigations into the conduct and finances of Trump.
Did You Know
2 Houses of US Congress –
- US House of Representatives – the lower house
- The Senate – upper house