Article 142 has 2 provisions –
142(1): Doing Complete Justice
|Chronology of the Ayodhya dispute|
|1528||First Mughal Emperor Babar is believed to have constructed Babri Masjid
|1885||Mahant Raghbir Das moves Faizabad court seeking permission to construct a temple in the vicinity of the Babri Masjid. The plea is declined.|
|1949|| Idols of Lord Ram is mysteriously found inside the mosque
|1950||Gopal Visharad and Ramachandra Das moved to Faizabad court for permission to worship the idols
|1959||Nirmohi Akhara files plea seeking possession of the disputed land.|
|1961||Central Sunni Waqf Board, U.P., moves court for declaration of title of the disputed land and removal of the idols inside the mosque.|
|1986||Faizabad court allows Hindus to worship the idols.|
Allahabad High Court takes over the title dispute. Orders status quo.
|1989||The Rajiv Gandhi government allows Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) to perform puja near the disputed site.|
|1992||Kar sevaks demolish Babri Masjid. Justice Liberhan Commission appointed to probe.|
|1993||P.V. Narasimha Rao government acquires 67 acres of land adjoining the disputed site. The Supreme Court upholds the acquisition in its Dr. Ismail Faruqui judgment.|
|2002|| Allahabad High Court commences hearing the title suits.
|2010||High Court delivers a majority judgment for three-way partition of the disputed property among Hindus, Muslims and Nirmohi Akhara.|
|2011||SC stays the high court judgment on cross-appeals filed by the parties.|
1. The Supreme Court said the Allahabad High Court’s remedy of a three-way bifurcation of the disputed premises among the Ayodhya deity, Sri Bhagwan Ram Virajman, Nirmohi Akhara, and the Sunni Central Waqf Board “defied logic”. It did not “secure a lasting sense of peace and tranquillity”.
2. The court said that the faith of the Hindus that Lord Ram was born at the disputed site where the Babri Masjid once stood cannot be disputed.
3. The Supreme Court also said that the 1992 demolition of the 16th century Babri Masjid Mosque was a violation of the law.
4. Hence the Supreme Court has granted the entire 2.77 acres of disputed land in Ayodhya to deity Ram Lalla. As compensation of sorts for the destruction of the mosque in 1992, the Muslim parties are set to get a five-acre plot elsewhere.
5. The court dismissed the Akhara’s petition as time-barred and rejected its suit claiming she bait (managerial rights) over the property.
SC not to entertain claims against the actions of Mughals.
Places of Worship (Special Provisions) Act of 1991
‘Unity in diversity’
‘Fall of Berlin Wall’
Author: Dheeraj Sharma
Published: November 18, 2019