How is the Chinese government reacting to the protest?
- China has taken a stronger stand towards the demonstrations in Hong Kong because it considers them as a direct threat to its increasing impact on Hong Kong.
- China initially reacted to the protests with the excuse that they did not exist. But it has altered when the protests continued and in the latest weeks, the propaganda and the hate campaign in China have increased.
- China also states that by continuing to pay demonstrators, the West particularly the USA and the CIA tries to encourage tensions in Hong Kong.
- China’s propaganda towards the demonstrators is particularly troubling. China called the activities of demonstrators “near terrorism”, after the airport protests.
- China also gathered soldiers and tanks around the Hong Kong boundary in Shenzhen and posted videos on the military training.
Did you know?
Shenzhen – A major city in Guangdong Province, China