The criminal justice system is a series of government agencies and institutions that are aimed at identifying and catching unlawful persons to punish them. Those who breach the established law can be penalized.
There are two ways to proceed with a criminal trial.
Harsh penalties were also given which include various forms of corporal punishment (punishment aimed at causing physical pain to a person). Its common methods include –
Let’s talk about the background of the Criminal Justice System in India, particularly.
1) Police accountability – Police accountability is discussed in the four areas as follows:
2) Judiciary – The court is mainly responsible for safeguarding human rights and to provide relief to the victim. The protection of individual rights is given more attention. The court should focus on both the victim and the witness.
3) Pendency of cases – There is a delay in the disposal of cases which leads to huge pendency of cases in courts. It is the court’s responsibility to guarantee that the cases are disposed of early.
4) Inefficient justice delivery – In many cases, several criminals remain unpunished. On the contrary, many innocent individuals stay in prison.
5) Judicial officer sensitivity – The judges need to be more proactive in the administrative role of the justice system. They believe in justice by the rigorous interpretation of the law.
6) The complicated structure of the crime – Crime has risen quickly and due to the technological development, the nature of offenses is becoming increasingly complicated.
7) Unfairness in the justice system – Even in grave crimes, the wealthy and the powerful are hardly condemned.
8) Complicated and expensive proceedings – The legal proceedings have become complex and costly. There is an increase in mob violence cases.
Published On: 26 August, 2019