|Argh||This is used for expressing anger.||Argh! What have you done?|
|Aww||This is used for expressing affection.||Aww! Such a cute little puppy.|
|Duh||This is used for expressing something obvious.||This means she is my sister, duh!|
|Eek||This is used for expressing fear.||Eek! It is a mastermind game.|
|Gee/geez||This is used for expressing surprise.||Geez! You just took me by surprise.|
|Oops/whoops||This is used for acknowledging a mistake.||Whoops! I broke the scale.|
|Eww||This is used for expressing disgust||Eww! What a disgusting smell.|
|Whoa||This is used as a phrase of calming down.||Whoa! You need to relax a bit.|
|Shit||This is used for expressing a wrong doing or a mistake.||Shit! I forgot the keys to my home.|
Interjections like any other part of speech are of different categories.
2. Strong Interjections: Words which are punctuated with the help of an exclamation mark in the sentence and are also differentiated from the entire sentence are called strong interjections.
There are some sentences where the writer expresses disagreement or disbelief with the help of interjections. In such cases, the sentences must end with appropriate question mark.
The above two categories just explained can be said minor categories of interjections. Following can be said as some of the major categories of interjections.
1. Interjections expressing the feelings. Example: wow, gee, oops, darn, oh
2. Interjections used for greeting another person. Example: hey, hello, hi.
3. Interjections used as a medium of approval. Example: yes, no, indeed, brilliant, bravo, well done etc.
4. Interjections which are used to express the feeling of joy. Example: hurrah, wow etc.
6. Interjections which are used for expressing grief and sadness. Example: alas, oh, ah.
More examples of interjections of pain are as follows.
Different Parts of Speech Acting Like Interjections:
Adjectives used as interjections. In the following examples, the highlighted part is the adjective acting as an interjection.
Nouns or phrasal nouns used as interjections. In the following examples, the highlighted part is the noun acting as an interjection.
Short clauses used as interjections. In the following examples, the highlighted part is the clause acting as an interjection.
There are times when interjections are used as a medium of sound so the reader reads it in that particular mood. In the following examples, the highlighted part is the sound used as an interjection by the writer.
Some more examples when interjection is used as a medium of sound in the sentence are shown below in the picture.